Wednesday 6 March 2013

America, San Francisco: Last days & Summary.

This blog may be slightly different to the rest as I don't have anything groundbreaking in terms of sight-seeing to report from the last few days. I have visited the Golden Gate Park, re-visited the famous Lombard street, seen Ghirardelli Square, done some shopping on Market Street and relaxed further by the piers. It's not easy to get bored here, despite the fact I've practically seen every street and every neighbourhood! I use the cable cars every single day which is an attraction in itself. It's seriously fun. I wanted to summarise my thoughts on San Francisco and say exactly why it has been my favourite destination (along with Singapore) so far. But firstly I will quickly go through the last couple of days!

Tuesday didn't hit the thrills and excitement of Monday but it was still another good day :) Golden Gate Park is very popular with the locals and is surrounded by gardens and museum's. The scenery is very lovely here and it's very easy to relax and unwind. The very middle of the park features a number of Pollarded trees (I googled that, I have to admit.) in a sort of grid, which makes for impressive viewing, along with water fountains and features. As I said, there were a number of museum's but for once I didn't really fancy one! The science museum is supposed to be interesting but the price was pretty hefty. The botanical gardens and Japanese tea garden also looked pretty as I walked through but both charged for entry and I wasn't too fussed. It's a nice area, but I preferred the Presidio by the Golden Gate. It was eerily quiet here too and I imagine it livens up a bit in the summer.



I hadn't previously written about the famous Lombard Street. The 'crookedest' (that is a word!) in the world. The street has eight very sharp turns. Sounds remarkably boring but the views from the top are great. Also, it makes quite a view from the bottom looking back up the extremely steep street. I think its a 30% gradient or something. Watching drivers go down was a laugh; they looked terrified! One guy was clearly mental and was skateboarding down the street... He asked me to film him jump over the ledge on his board and then carry on down the street. He didn't last long and he almost feel flat on his face. A group of Chinese guys were lobbing tennis balls down the street. It was like a lunatic asylum has been let out, so I caught the cable car to move on.



Today I saw Ghirardelli Square up by Fisherman's wharf. This is quite a small area, but it features chocolate, cake and ice cream shops. Of course I was going to visit... I saw the cupcake shop, but had to wait for the group of girls to leave. The shop was bright pink and looked very feminine. I couldn't stroll in there with a straight face, being by myself. The cupcake was average. Long live Hummingbird Bakery... The square is very small and there isn't a great deal more I can say about it. Probably not even worthy of a paragraph. Oh well.


So I say goodbye to San Francisco on Friday and although I am looking forward immensely to New York, I don't want to leave here... Yes, I have seen all the sights... But in a very weird way, it almost feels like home! I would choose to live here above any other place I have visited by a long, long way. It really has everything you would want from a city. Its intimate yet vibrant and that is what I love about it. You can relax in it's quiet spots and indulge in it's more busier, touristy areas. It has a rich history and a culture of it's own, even as a small city. It's incredibly diverse, with no two areas the same. It's traditional in places, alternative in the next. It's beautiful to look at, with it's amazing hill top views and steep streets. This is a place not ruined by ugly high rises of buildings. Some cities you almost feel trapped by all the skyscrapers, but not here. It's architecture is lovely, with victorian buildings everywhere you look. It feels modern and old fashioned at the same time, which I found totally unique. You can walk from district to district seeing new things and discovering great scenic views along the way. I have never found a place where each street gives a new perspective so regularly. It has it's iconic structures with the Golden Gate Bridge (which is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen) and Alcatraz. It's cable cars however are at the core of what San Francisco is. A city proud of it's past, especially in overcoming the worst natural disaster the USA has ever seen (1906 Earthquake). There is something so special and tranquil about hanging on the side of cable car, gliding both up and down hill after hill, taking on the views at each street. I will honestly miss it. The people are lovely, unlike the arrogant, try-hard Los Angeles locals. Here, nothing is forced. The people are so proud of where they live, they admire it and revel in it. I doubt I will encounter a place with such character and such a rich personality as San Francisco.

Whilst in the Boudin Bakery Museum, I came across a selection of quotes on San Francisco. Here are a few of my favourites.

"San Franciscans are very proud of their city, and they should be.  It’s the most beautiful place in the world."  (Robert Redford)

"One day if I go to heaven…I’ll look around and say “It ain’t bad, but it ain’t San Francisco”. (Herb Caen)

"If you’re alive, you can’t be bored in San Francisco.  If you’re not alive, San Francisco will bring you to life.  (William Saroyan)".  So true. I'll be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment